Library Computer Use Policies
- Computers are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Computers in the labs can be used provided they are not reserved for a class.
- Please do not install software on the computers. Contact the 5th floor Tufts Technology Services Walk-Up Support Desk or (617) 627-3376 if you need additional software.
- Save your data on a CD or USB drive. All saved data is lost when the computers reboot.
- All users must adhere to the Tufts Information Stewardship Policy, Digital Copyright Laws, and all policies set forth by the University.
- Please check the IT Policies section of the Tufts Technology Services website for information on all policies.
Tufts Information Stewardship Policy & Supporting Information Policies
It is very important to read and understand the Tufts Information Stewardship Policy and all Supporting Information Policies. The policies outlined in the document are important as they serve to protect both the University as well as the students, staff, and faculty.
Digital Copyright Laws
In 1998, the U.S. congress passed into law the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). This act is meant to protect the rights of owners of digital media. It is used by corporations to protect their movies, music and software from piracy and unlawful duplication.
The DMCA is used in prosecution of persons violating the copyrights of digital media, including music, movies, images and online books or manuals. Copyright holders regularly police common Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing networks in pursuit of alleged copyright violators. When violators are located the copyright holder informs the university with a "notice to cease and desist," it is then the University's responsibility to remove the offending user from the network. The copyright holder may pursue legal action against the individual who breaks copyright laws.
Tufts University takes copyright violations very seriously. Each school has different policies on discipline for violations. Please check with your Student Services Office for more details.
For more information about Peer-to-Peer file sharing, please see the "Peer-to-Peer (P2P) File Sharing and Copyright Infringement" section of the Frequently Asked Questions.
Tufts Network Use Policy
Please see Tufts Network Use Policy for information on wireless access on campus. Tufts Technology Services looks for wireless access points and will disconnect any unauthorized access points connected to the Tufts' Network.