This is a part-time position working 20 hours per week. The schedule is afternoons 12:00pm – 5:00pm and Fridays 2:00pm– 7 :00pm. Please include cover letter and resume with application.
The Hirsh Health Sciences Library provides collections and services that support the educational, research, and patient care missions of Tufts University. The Research and Instruction Services Department is a highly visible and customer service-oriented department that assists patrons in person, on the phone, and electronically with various library services and resources. Representatives of this department assist users to access services and resources and circulate materials. They provide information about the library and its policies, assist patrons in scanning and printing, give referrals when appropriate, interacting closely with other library departments. They also perform other related activities.
The Library Reference Assistant is responsible for carrying out all the daily activities of the Library Service Desk in an effective, customer-oriented and professional manner. Duties include providing service to library patrons at the Library Service Desk. These services include providing basic reference help and point-of-need consultation and instruction to users for their information access questions, assisting users with access to the physical library and accessing resources on the website, and assisting users with printing and scanning. Interactions with patrons occur in person and electronically.
The person in this position will also use the circulation module of the University Library’s integrated library system to circulate material, create and maintain patron records, and create and maintain reserve lists. They will also create and maintain the reserves collection by contacting faculty on a regular basis, and coordinating with library staff as needed for ordering new materials and processing existing materials.
Responsibilities also include interpreting and applying library policies as appropriate, accurately referring users to appropriate staff members when needed for additional information, reference or technical questions. Staff use Qualtrics to create and run surveys for the library, some on a daily basis.
Additionally, this position will be on library and university committees as assigned, including the Library PR Team, backup on the University Library’s Circulation and Reserves Team . This position is in the sole full time staff member on Saturdays. Other duties as assigned
This position offers many opportunities to develop skills necessary to a career in academic librarianship.
- 1-3 years of experience.
- BS or BA.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, and use of an automated integrated library system.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, ability to interact and work with a diverse user group, outstanding customer service skills, excellent communication skills.
- Experience in an academic or special library environment with knowledge of Ex Libris Alma/Primo/Leganto preferred.
- Very strong verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated high level of good judgment, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies and related skills.
- Must be helpful and approachable.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and independently.
- Exhibit enthusiasm and initiative, and the ability to prioritize diverse responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to meet and exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Interest in pursuing academic library degree.