This is a part-time position, working 20 hours per week.
The Research and Instruction Department is a highly visible and customer service-oriented department that serves as the primary and first point patrons come to for assistance - with various library services and resources. The Research and Instruction staff help patrons access services and resources, circulate materials, provide referrals; assist patrons in copying & printing; provide information about the library and its policies; work closely with other library departments to provide outstanding customer service, -in person, and electronically.
The Library Reference Assistant is responsible for carrying out all the daily activities of the Library Service Desk in an effective, customer-oriented, and professional manner. Duties include coverage at the Library Service Desks, comprising but not limited to assisting patrons with access to the library and library resources, contributing to Library knowledge bases, interpreting library holdings via the online catalog, providing library materials, operating the circulation system, checking library materials in and out, and creating and maintaining patron records. This position also includes communicating library policies to staff and library users; assisting with printing and photocopying; answering basic reference questions and accurate referral of complicated inquiries to appropriate staff members; and the ability to work with the reserve module, create lists and other advanced functions of the library system . This position is also responsible for assisting with Library Service Desk statistics and Interlibrary Loan functions. This is an on-site position.
- 1-2 years of related experience required.
- B.S. or B.A.
- Library circulation systems: MS Office products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong commitment to outstanding public service.
- At least 2-3 years experience in an academic or special library.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team and independently.
- Enthusiasm and initiative, and the ability to prioritize diverse responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Good organizational skills.
- High-level problem-solving and technical skills.
- Ability to meet and exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Comfortable with various technologies and programs including wikis; blogs.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
This is a permanent, part-time position for 20 hours per week. Hours are afternoons and Fridays until 7 pm.